A truly unique show request for a special birthday boy.
A good friend of mine, Pat Olsen, like me, is turning 50 this year. He wanted me to put together a special show by request to commemorate this achievement. More than happy to, my friend.
But then it got interesting: He wanted...
- Songs that were popular hits on his birthday
- Songs from a diverse selection of the 50 years since his birth
- And, get this: an emphasis on one-hit wonders, which is a personal favorite of his.
In the hands of lesser audio programmers, this might seem like an impossible task. But of course, I was able to pull this off without even breaking a sweat.
Each of these songs were charted Billboard Hot 100 hits during the week that encompasses 17 different years from the last 50, and all feature a one hit wonder, meaning only one of their songs made the US Billboard Top 40 of the Hot 100, in spite of an artists success on other charts. As an example, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, one of the the most lauded Rock groups in history, scored only one Top 40 single, in 1968, with "All Along The Watchtower".
Did they deserve more sustained success? Did they have the talent to achieve longer chart careers? Only you can ultimately be the judge of that, and were.
Twisted Sister, 1984. Photo by Neil Zlozower. (l-r) A.J. Pero, Jay Jay French, Dee Snyder, Mark Mendoza and Eddie Ojeda. Photo courtesy of Atlantic Records.
Happy birthday my friend. I hope this program brings you nothing but joy on the day you reach a true milestone in your life.
All tracks will be presented in a continuous sequence. Title, Artist, Year
1. Get Off, Foxy, 1978
2. Living In A Box, Living In A Box, 1987
3. Bulletproof, La Roux, 2009
4. I Try, Macy Gray, 1999
5. Double Barrel, Dave and Ansel Collins, 1971
6. Get Together, The Youngbloods, 1969
7. Puttin' On The Ritz, Taco, 1983
8. Return Of The Mack, Mark Morrison, 1997
9. Unbelievable, EMF, 1990
10. So Alive, Love and Rockets, 1989
11. (Stay) I Missed You, Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories, 1994
12. Cups (When I'm Gone), Anna Kendrick, 2012
13. Rock The Boat, Hues Corporation, 1974
14. Party Like A Rockstar, Shop Boyz, 2007
15. Cake By The Ocean, DNCE, 2016
16. We're Not Gonna Take It, Twisted Sister, 1984
17. Angel of the Morning, Merrilee Rush, 1968
Love to you all.
Ben “Bear” Brown Jr., owner
“Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for 'fair use' for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."